1. Salam and hi~! I'm Hafifi Hafiz bin Ahmad and people just call me 'Fifi' and I spent my 18 years in Kulim, Kedah. I'm the 2nd child in the family of 5 siblings and currently the tallest (^-^)v. I like to browse through brouchers, go window shopping, read interesting reading materials, watch dramas and tc series, and play computer games. I'm still pursuing my degree and now in the 8th semester of the program.
2. How would I rate myself to computer skills? I would say I'm moderately skilled because I know a bit about computer (I'm literally a gadget freak), like to download and explore new computer programs and could walk around in and out of computer shops for hours! There was a time when my laptop screen went black and I had to go to computer shop to fix it. The person there said that it was damaged and I had to replace it (the cost was around RM1000!). Definitely I don't have such to pay, so angrily I went back home, took a screwdriver and went to work my laptop. I took out the the screen and cleaned it. I checked the wires and after awhile, I put it back together and wallaaah~! It works just fine! Since then, I became more obsessed with computers and the things inside it, though I'm not really fond of Flash programming and such. I can do basic reformatting and some maintenance to the hardware.
3. I know the basic things about computer hardwares such as RAM, processor, graphic cards, cooling system and other basic infos that most people would have in their mind. I always updated myself with new and latest basic sofwares and programs that I always use such as Adobe Readers, Flash, Shockwave, DirectX, TuneUp Utilities and others (I usually checked them once a week and downloaded them via FileHippo.com).
4. Have I ever experienced online learning? No, not directly that is. Currently, I'm a registered user in the firstname.lastname@example.org and I am always updated about ESL info via email. I kept all the emails as the website (Kenneth Beare) frequently gave me fresh ideas and information about the subject.
5. During my practicum time, I did try to incorporate the usage of technologies in some of my lesson and it was a success though it might not be a complete one. That might be caused by the limitation of having access to the technology in that school despite its location in a busy town with professionals sending their children to the school. I had to used my laptop to show videos and audios to my students and it too was limited as there was no LCD projector available for the teachers to use in teaching and learning, even in the computer room itself. If there were no such barrier, I would say that my teaching would have more variables and could be more interesting than just playing games in the same classroom (cause the school didn't quite allow students to go outside of the class for teaching and learning).
6. I would say that using technology or computer in language teaching would be a huge advantage and a very big PLUS to the effectiveness as it will definitely be a great way to have the students interested in any topics as long as the teacher knows how to present them in the most creative and attractive ways, and it must be (of course) accompanied by some interesting activites (the students would prefer games and sort of competing activites between groups). this is based on my expereiences and I would say that students can actually perform and achieved better understanding when the teacher uses technology and interesting activities along the lesson instead of traditional way of teaching and just giving them alot of homework, without really caring whether they understand the lesson or not.
7. I expect to gain many valuable information and skills regarding to how to actually use computer and its program in creating and developing sofwares or websites that can help to encourage better teaching and learning in my possibly future career. There are softwares that I had never heard of mentioned in today's classroom and thinking of how fun it might be, I couldn't wait for the lesson to start. Well, I couldn't refuse the temptation of having the chances to explore new softwares and gaining new technology-related skills as I think this would be beneficial to me, as it is also important to have this kind of knowledge in the era nowadays. No one can actually says that technology is not important as it is undeniably relative to almost anything that we do. So to me, every little knowledge given is worth every little time spent to gain it. And warning, this is not a bluff because I'm a gadget freak after all..